Asgar Saboo is the creative director of the Daniel Galvin hair studio in the heart of London’s West End. Since learning his trade at the same salon as an enthusiastic apprentice in 1975, Asgar has emerged as the name on the lips of the rich and famous as the most creative and reliable hair stylist in the business.
Renowned for creating edgy looks, some of Asgar’s most inspirational coiffures have been sported by celebrities on the red carpet the world over. He has worked on film sets, catwalk shows and at high profile showbiz events, but is not just a magnet for movie stars and models: Asgar is also widely regarded as the go-to man for dignitaries, ultra-high net worth individuals and even royalty. In fact, there aren’t many among the rich and famous who don’t make Asgar their first port of call during a visit to England’s capital. The key to his service, aside from his knowledge and wealth of experience, is the relationships he carefully cradles with his clients.
“Although I have done hair in every possible high pressure environment and glamorous events, I still prefer the one to one interaction. At the end of the day, my job is to make the client happy more than the people who will be looking at the style,” he says. “Only a stylist with a massive ego will do as they please. I believe in speaking to the client at length. Through an honest and confidential discussion, I can get to the root of what is needed.”
Asgar believes that the best hair style for each person depends on factors such as an individual’s face shape, build, height and lifestyle. He uses this criteria combined with current trends to create a style as individual as the person. “Every single person out there can have an amazing haircut that will turn heads. Today we have everything from the best hair-dying techniques and extensions to top stylists who should be able to work with any hair type. Be confident about yourself and let that take you towards looking great.”
We spoke to the man himself to find out just what he recommends for keeping your hair in tip top condition:
- Hair exposed to extreme temperatures can be prone to damage. Invest in a good quality intensive shampoo and conditioner that contain the word “replenish”.
- Routinely add a hair treatment mask once a week and use a hot oil treatment once a week. Coconut oil is particularly effective.
- Aim to have split ends cut every six to eight weeks to promote healthy hair and help minimize breakage, dryness and frizz.
- Create the perfect synchronisation between the colour of your hair and your eyes. Hair with red undertones really makes blue or green eyes stand out, black hair sets off lightly coloured eyes and blonde hair looks great with deep, dark brown eyes. Also, have your hair cut into layers around your face to bring attention to your eyes.
- For a beach bum effect, dry your hair after washing. Make a few fat braids before going to bed and undo them in the morning by running your fingers through your hair to create that undone textured look.
- Wear a hat or scarf in cold weather and add humidity to the air in your office and home to protect against hair becoming brittle, dry and easy to break. Tie your hair up during winter months to avoid frizzy, static-prone hair and use a leave-in conditioner or spray your hair with UV protection to prevent rays from the sun causing damage.
- Always use a good quality heat defence spray when using heat styling tools to protect the hair and keep it looking glossy and hydrated.
For more information on Asgar visit his website.